Updated: Aug 8, 2018
When I tell people I am a singer in a wedding band, the questions that always follow are: what songs do we play the most? What's the most requested song? What song do I love to sing the most? There's SO MANY songs so it is hard for me to answer right away, but it got me thinking about something else.
In my 2-3 years performing as a Wedding Singer, I've noticed that certain songs always get people out of their seats and onto the dance floor. I've also noticed some songs unify people as one voice, singing at the top of their lungs. My band performs a lot of the same songs each wedding, and I've seen very, very similar reactions when we play certain songs. A lot of them are from very different decades, but there is no age division on that dance floor when these songs play.
I can't explain some of them, and you may not be able to either, but I made a top 10 list of songs that get people to flood the dance floor or sing along. There are millions of songs of course, and people love to dance at weddings, but I based this off of two things:
1. Was the dance floor empty before we played this song? These are the songs that get people out of their seats running to dance.
2. Is the entire room collectively singing this song with us? These are the songs that, if I pull the mic away at the chorus, the crowd can sing the song on their own.
In no particular order, here is my list:
1. Runaround Sue - Dion and The Belmonts
2. My Girl - The Temptations
3. Despacito (Remix) - Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber
4. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
5. Shout - The Isley Brothers
6. I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys 7. Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi 8. This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan 9. I Love It - Icona Pop 10. I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
I do have some Honorable Mentions. These are songs that people love to dance to, but the way our set list works, they are usually already on the dance floor. This list also includes songs we do not play every wedding, but when requested the crowd goes nuts.
1. Can't Stop The Feeling - Justin Timberlake
2. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
3. Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
4. R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - Aretha Franklin
5. I Want You Back - Jackson 5
6. Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
7. Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
8. Shut Up and Dance - Walk The Moon
9. Timber - Pitbull featuring KeSha
10. Crazy in Love - Beyonce featuring Jay-Z